Many people get injured at the workplace in Atlanta. They can only return to their job for a short time. Many individuals also get unemployed due to their disability. Companies have to reimburse their workers if they are injured on the job. Workers’ compensation is mandatory for these people as per the government’s rule.
Nowadays, many people need help in getting their compensation from employers. In this situation, victims of workplace injuries can hire a worker comp attorney to get their salary and medical benefits.
Workers’ compensation lawyers help injured employees start the claim process. In this article, we will explain the importance of hiring a workers’ compensation lawyer:
About Workers Compensation
Workers’ compensation is like insurance that employees get if injured in Atlanta. Compensation includes medical expenses, wage replacement, disability payments, and vocational rehabilitation. You will get a portion of your lost wages till the time you are in recovery. The most frequent causes of workers compensation claims in Atlanta in 2022 were:
- Struck by or against objects
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Exposure to harmful substances or environments
Workers’ compensation primarily aims to protect employers and employees through no-fault insurance coverage. Employees cannot sue their employer for negligence after receiving the compensation.
The Legal Process in Atlanta
You have to follow a legal process to get compensation for your injuries that occurred during work. Below, you can check the process to claim the compensation:
- You should report your injury to your employer within 30 days. Then, file a claim with the State Board of Workers’ Compensation within one year. You should have Form WC-14 to start the legal process of getting compensation. A workers’ compensation lawyer will help you begin the legal process.
- The employer can deny your claim for various reasons. They can request a hearing before an administrative law judge (ALJ) of the SBWC to reject your claim. Dont worry; you can also request a hearing after getting a notice of denial or dispute.
- You can also appeal to the Appellate Division of the SBWC if you are unsatisfied with the ALJ’s decision.
Benefits of Hiring a Workers Compensation Lawyer
Hiring a workers compensation lawyer makes a significant difference in your claim. This lawyer can offer you the following benefits:
1. Knowledge of laws and regulations
Workers’ compensation lawyers help clients understand their rights under Georgia law. They will clarify things with you about messy legal processes. Also, they will guide you throughout your case and provide the best solution.
2. Familiarity with legal procedures
These lawyers have good knowledge of legal procedures for getting compensation for work-related injuries. They will fill out all the paperwork for you. A workers compensation lawyer helps clients navigate the complete SBWC system. Also, this lawyer helps to file the claim in the court.
3. Ensuring fair compensation for injuries
A workers’ compensation lawyer helps injured employees get the correct compensation benefits. The lawyer will negotiate a fair settlement with your employer or insurance company.
4. Building a strong case
This lawyer helps the employees gather evidence like medical records, witness statements, and accident reports. Workers’ compensation lawyers also leverage their regional expertise to find the best medical providers, vocational experts, and other professionals who can assist your case.
5. Handling disputes with employers
The lawyers help individuals handle disputes with their employers regarding getting compensation. Many employers argue with their employees that their injury is not work-related or they are not entitled to certain benefits. In this situation, a workers’ compensation lawyer will challenge these arguments in court.
Workers’ compensation is the right of an employee who has suffered injuries in the workplace. If your employer denies compensating for your injuries, you can file a case in court. Workers compensation lawyer will handle all the work to get you the claim through court. Also, you must take their help to file the claim with SBWC. If you have been injured at work in Atlanta, do not hesitate to contact a workers’ compensation lawyer today and get the legal help you need.